Editing at the Law School
I love working here, but I feel "blogged" down :)
I have been editing a 120 page book for the last week and a half-two weeks, and it's driving me CRAAAZYYY!
The title is "Islamic Law As Governing Law." It's actually pretty interesting. It's somebody's thesis that the Center for International and Comparative Law wants to publish. The only thing is, English is not the author's first language. It may not even be his second. I think he's Persian, and has been studying in one of the Islamic countries before he came here. Who knows?
All I know is that his syntax structure is long and complicated! He also loves punctuation, but in all the wrong places. It wears me out. Last night, I was determined to get to the end of Part One. I had ten more pages to go. It was 11:30p. I WANTED TO DELETE EVERYTHING! I wanted to sabbotage! But, I didn't. I went home, ate some Fritos, and went to bed.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Nat

4 Comments:
At 11:18 AM,
Anonymous said…
Hi Nat,
I'm so sorry for you. I understand what you're going through. When I started studying at UB I have the same problem as this guy. When the professors returned to me the writing papers they were awful. They have corrections everywhere. I'm not that bad right now, but I still need to learn and improve more. Anyway, I hope you could soon end your work and that it doesn't get worst. Good luck.
At 11:19 AM,
vane said…
Hi Nat,
I'm so sorry for you. I understand what you're going through. When I started studying at UB I have the same problem as this guy. When the professors returned to me the writing papers they were awful. They have corrections everywhere. I'm not that bad right now, but I still need to learn and improve more. Anyway, I hope you could soon end your work and that it doesn't get worst. Good luck.
At 6:40 PM,
Gynene said…
I feel your pain....I once had to edit a law review article for one of the faculty here. She had written about 75,000 words and the word limit was 26,000. It took me all eight hours of my day to organize, edit, reorganize, re-edit, cite check and then email it back to her. She ended up trashing all of my edits and rewriting the whole thing! GAH!!!!!!
At 10:49 AM,
Rhian Atta said…
Hi Natalie,
I went once to an event of a law student named. I was speaking about the bad condition in his country. I could hardly understand what he was talking about. I thought that might be due to my "humble" english knowledge but fortunately it turned out that almost everyone uderstood very little out of what he was talking about!
As english being my second language, I should say it is not difficult to learn english but what is really challenging is to put out the words of different meanings in a comprehensive sentece and I think that is called "english idiomatic".
English is much easier to learn than my language "Arabic". So far, I have more confidence in writing in englsih rather in Arabic!!!
But I would be very interested to edit someone's writing in Arabic, wondering how it is going to sound like?
Post a Comment
<< Home