Nat's blog

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Cherry Blossoms in D.C.

Ok, so my friend Al and I have been trying to see the Cherry Blossom festival for the last three springs. This spring, we nailed down a date! The week-end festival ocurred on Sunday, April 9. We decided to go on Tuesday, the 11th. We didn't want to deal with the crowds; we just wanted to shoot the flowers. Since the weather has been so weird, they must have bloomed way early. There were hardly any petals on the ground! Were they in bloom during the festival? Anyway, it was a disappointment to know I'll have to go another year without seeing the spectacular. BUT! There was a "Tulip Library" on the outskirts of the water. Every color, every hybrid, every combination you could imagine was there. Each type had its own bed, so Al and I got down on the ground and started shooting. Now I have a tulip series. Once I develop the film, I'll share it with you. We also went to a photography exhibit in the National Museum of Art. The gallery showing we chose was one on the early types of photography (like lithographs, dagherrotypes (sp?), the camera obscura) and the early greats in photography. All in all, it wasn't a loss, and I had a great day playing hooky and feeling the sun on my skin :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home